The Vaughan Soccer Club members past and present, City of Vaughan Mayor Mauricio Bevilacqua, Councillor Marilyn Iafrate, Councillor Rosanna DeFrancesca, Regional Councilor Gino Rosati, Regional Councilor Michael Di Biase, City Staff and other special guests were delighted to be part of the Vaughan Soccer Club's 30 Year Anniversary Ceremony.
The Mayor was gracious in presenting the Vaughan Soccer Club with a plaque from the City of Vaughan for the Clubs outstanding service to the youth of our community for 30 years.
The Vaughan Soccer Clubs humble beginnings started in 1982 when we were known as the Concord Jets and we were located at the Patricia Kemp Community Center. In 1987 the Concord Jets made two of its most important decisions which affected our club. The first decision was to rename the club from the Concord Jets to the Vaughan Soccer Club and secondly was to move its headquarters further north to the Maple area to service the growing communities of North Thornhill, Maple and our original community of Concord.
The club at that time had approximately 100 members in total and over the years it has grown to our present membership of 3,700 that participate in our outdoor soccer programs. In addition we have approximately 1,500 that participate in our Indoor Programs.
The reasons for this outstanding growth are too many to mention but we will touch upon several important ones:
• First and the most obvious has been the population growth in the City of Vaughan
• Secondly it is our amazing dedicated and self giving volunteers
• Thirdly our innovative programs that we have brought to the fore front. For example the under 4 program for our members was one of the first programs to be offered in York Region for that age group. We continue to add new programs that will benefit the whole community and an example of this will be the launching of our new program for children with special needs which will be offered at no cost to these participants.
• Finally we are a full service club as our data below demonstrates
- 180 outdoor house league youth teams from ages 4 to 18
- 30 outdoor senior house league teams ages 19 to 60
- 44 competitive youth teams from ages 7 to 18
- 5 senior competitive teams
- 80 indoor house league teams from ages 5 to 18
- 14 indoor senior house league teams ages 19 to 60
The Vaughan Soccer Club looks forward in servicing our local community for at least another 30 years and making soccer an integral part of our lives.